Monday, December 2, 2013

Updates...

Why hello TANSTAAFL CANADA! readers, it's been a while...

Here's what I've been up to lately:





The Mayoral Campaign
I ran for Mayor of Canmore and lost, receiving 53 votes (or 1.60%). I had planned on doing videos throughout the campaign but my webcam started to fuck up (it wasn't recording any sound) plus I became pretty disillusioned with the whole process. Canmore is an old boys town. The Rotary Club decides the next mayor. They even have electronic voting to ensure the results are to their liking. Am I claiming an election fraud? Of course not. There wasn't any way I was going to win and Helder was too stuck-up to be appealing. But if I had taken my chances seriously and got out there and pushed for victory... well shoulda-coulda-woulda.

I attended the forums and spouted by radical anarcho-capitalist philosophy. You should have heard the collective gasp the first time I said, "taxation is theft." Most of the people in these audiences were old. So that gives me some hope that the younger generations are rejecting politics... But they probably just don't care. I did meet a few libertarians that were encouraging and other "Reform"-style conservatives that liked how I "got to the point." That is to say, no bullshit. Government cannot give without taking something first. If private enterprise fucks up, consumers go elsewhere. If government fucks up, they get more funding. Insanity.

From what I gathered, if I had run for town council I might have won. That seemed to be the consensus from the people I talked to. Nobody wanted me to be their next mayor, but on council I would have been the only voice that wasn't statist.

But if I had won I would be stuck in Canmore for the next four years. Not that Canmore isn't nice but I'm only 25 and I like to keep moving. I've been all over Canada so now I'm...

Hitchhiking the Untied States

What a beautiful country. Especially Big Sur in California. Right now I'm stationed in San Luis Obispo, spending most of my free time reading, writing and SURFING! Oh ya! Nothing I'm writing is publishable but that may change soon because I just came across this book. Expect a line-by-line rebuttal soon. I hate to put myself on a deadline but this neo-Marxist shit needs to be corrected ASAP.

I just finished Atlas Shrugged and while I'm by no means an Objectivist, I did enjoy that book immensely. I definitely recommend it to libertarians and non-libertarians everywhere.

As far as the hitchhiking is going - it is much easier in Canada. Americans seem to be afraid of their shadow, let alone a random stranger on the road. But there is hope. Everybody here (and I mean everybody) is unhappy with the status quo. That's not to say everyone is a Rothbardian (far from it) but change is in the air. I ask just about every American I meet about Ron Paul. Almost everyone likes him. They don't agree with everything he says, and nobody ever expected him to win (most Americans are fully aware to how corrupt their electoral system is), but they all agree that Dr. Paul is (or was) the only politician telling the truth. In addition to his huge following on colleges and university campuses, I am very optimistic about the future of this country.

With any hope, when Washington DC defaults on its debt or the dollar collapses, Americans will reject the tyranny the status quo will try to impose.

Rothbard.ca

Decision pending. Once I'm back and settled in Canada I'll decide what to do. In the meantime, if anyone has Canadian libertarian articles not suited for Mises Canada feel free to send them my way and I'll post them on Rothbard.ca. I can't pay you though...


Talk to you later! I'll try to update this blog more often!


No comments:

Post a Comment