Thursday, August 16, 2012

Wheat Entrepreneurs vs. Weed Entrepreneurs

REGINA — Two Prince Albert residents have been charged with drug offences after police raided a home in the city... Police said the search turned up 732 grams of marijuana, a digital scale, packaging materials and $1,395 cash.

"These people were not criminals, they were our fellow citizens, citizens who protested injustice," Harper said, "Never, never, never again will western farmers - and only western farmers - growing their own weed on their own land be told how they can and can't market their products"



Oh sorry, that was a typo. Harper said "wheat" farmers, referring to the former-Canadian Wheat Board. Apparently it's criminal to farm marijuana, but wheat is eh-okay. Funny, given the enormous health benefits of marijuana and the dangers of wheat. You'd think things would be reversed, but such is life in our Orwellian-Huxley world.

Regardless, it's absolutely hypocritical to criminalize farmers of one plant while subsidizing farmers of another plant. Like nearly all issues, the question boils down to property. Do I own myself? Do I own the property that I peacefully acquired? Do I have a right to grow, smoke or consume my own property?

Apparently not.

But the tide is changing. According to Ipsos Reid president Darrell Bricker, Canadians are already libertarians. Of course, he doesn't use that language. In an interview about a survey that claims Canadians favour lax pot laws, Bricker said,

"We're a changing society. The culture is evolving... It's all about tolerance, there's a general trend in Canadian values and it's really about, 'Live and let live. Don't tell me how to live my life. If you're different from me, that's OK. It's my job to learn how to tolerate that."

Truer words were never spoken.

No comments:

Post a Comment